Friday, September 30, 2011

Cats (Pets)

            I love cats. Absolutely adore them. Kittens are cute, but naughty. I like older cats, age 3+. I have a cat my self (My kitty boo-boo!!). Her name is Kit-Kat and she is such a precious! She turned 5 in July, and though she’s not staying with me right now, I miss her terribly. She is a sweet heart, and truly lives up to the phrase ‘Scaredy-cat’. I swear, if I didn’t make her wear a bell, I would never hear if something was wrong. Sometimes I barely do. All I hear is the echo of a bell getting softer, and softer to know I have to leave, cause she sure as hell wont let me know! :) And when there is someone around who she/we really don’t like, you cannot hear her, even if you’re standing right next to her! My friend said she’s probably holding the bell between her paws. I’ve had her for about 3 yrs. now. She was a stray. She was very fat too.

Where I was living in Chicago, the administrator of the house, a nun, gave me bags of food to feed the neighborhood cats. I found Macavity on Easter. She appeared at my doorstep. Macavity was a striped tortoiseshell and very cute. I fed her KFC. I especially liked her because she had a flea collar on, and it didn’t seem like she belonged to someone. I was in school at the time, 10th grade, and everyday afterschool I would see her.

Then one day, we were walking around the corner, and I saw another cat that looked just like her, behind the fence, in our yard. It looked just like her but fat and ugly is what I thought. Macavity started hissing at the cat, and in an attempt to calm her, I tried to push her away from the fence, and she lashed out and scratched me hard. When I went in and told Sis. (The admin) I blamed the fat cat, who stared out calmly like she lived there. After that though, I kept seeing the fat one. Macavity would hiss at her, and I would… throw sticks to get her to go away (though I still fed her at a distance.) She kept coming over and rolling around in dirt next to me. I wouldn’t let her touch me cause she had fleas or lice, and I didn’t want them near me. She was always scratching. When people saw her following me, they told me that she was the neighborhood cat that used to wander around, her name was Halloween, and it fit her. She was a speckled tortoiseshell, with a calico stomach, and a roly-poly something.

One day, after two-weeks with Macavity—she wasn’t allowed to come in, there was a no animal rule—she up and disappeared. I still don’t know where she went, but I hope it was a good place, with nice people. I was still feeding all the other neighborhood cats, but always there was Halloween. She started to grow on me. Then she didn’t come back for a few days, I wondered where she went off. The next day, I was walking around the garden, and there she was running up to me. And she was skinny. What did I need to do to join on her diet plan? She looked about 10lbs lighter. I was at the point of giving her brief quick pats, washing my hands afterwards. I was loudly exclaiming about her weight loss, and my neighbor overheard me. She said, “Girl, you didn’t know that cat was pregnant?!?” My jaw dropped. I was so embarrassed at how I had been treating her. And she kept coming back is what amazed me. She had been pregnant the whole time. I think Macavity might have been her child too, my neighbor told me she had at least three liters roaming around. After that I spent more time with her, then before she left off for the day, I found a loose scrunchie with beads and put it around her neck and saw her off (but not before taking her onto the back porch, feeding her, and brushing her fur).

Then she disappeared completely for two weeks. I was fraught with worry. Later the next day, afterschool, sitting on the back stoop after it had rained hard, there she was, squeezing through the fence. She looked God-awful. Wet fur, snotty nose, gunky eyes, creaky movements, and pitiful mews. She was sick. I quickly ran to Sis. and asked her to do something. She dropped everything, wrapped her in a towel and took her to the vet. She was there for five days, and I couldn’t visit. My mom told me she either had Feline Leukemia, or Pneumonia (said the Doctor and Sis.). Then she asked me what I would do if she died. I cried and she smirked, and told me it was only Pneumonia, and she’d be ok. I told her I hated her and she was wrong for that. She told me I’d get over it and to come downstairs and get the cat. Sis. let her stay in a closet in the basement, with blankets and towels on the floor, with food and water, but the door had to stay closed, since we weren’t allowed animals.

Everyday afterschool, I would come in, and give her, her medicine. She had a shaved patch on her neck where the doctor had administered a shot to help her get better. But I had to give her these nasty pills you know she hated. It was always a struggle, and she was a sneaky thing, spitting it out when I turned my back, or hiding it in her cheek, a very smart cat. After 7 days of medication, she was able to move and roam around the basement. It was big, and she was free to run back to the closet when she got scared or nervous. We (Sis.) got her a collar, toys, and big boxes of food. She revived in perfect health. At that time we were supposed to put her out, but that never happened. My mom told me that God gave me that cat. She was there to relieve my loneliness. That’s why she asked me what I would do if she had died. She wanted to know if I really cared about her. She spent a month down in the basement, in which the other residents had time to get used to her, and understand that even though we weren’t supposed to have animals, that cat wasn’t going anywhere (as ordained by God) By the time that month was over, she moved upstairs into our room, and she was thus named Kit-Kat.
***
I love my cat she is a precious thing. She hasn’t lived with me for months and months *sob* because of the problems my mom and I are going through. She’s in pissy Lynchburg, Va., with a very caring person, who is taking very good care of her. Thank you so much Cindy! While we are stuck in pissy Wash., D.C., but soon, I’ll be with my kitty boo-boo again! :) I want another cat along with Kit-Kat because I love cats so much, but just my luck to get a jealous cat! She hisses and attacks the other cats, then gives me the cold shoulder. But even if I don’t get another cat she is enough for me. Though when it comes to other animals, I really want a snake (albino Indian corn snake), a ferret and maybe a couple of fish. My mom says I just need to own a zoo, because if I had it my way, I would have multiple cats (my friends call me the crazy cat lady with one cat!), a turtle, a lizard, another snake, a white wolf dog (sarlooswolfhond or Siberian husky), two tigers, Siberian (auburn), and Bengal (white), and a parrot—maybe another ferret and a dolphin. I like animals, what can I say? :) Anyways, I’ll probably post more stories about Kit-Kat, but I wanna hear from you! How did you get your animal? What interesting stories do you have? What kind of pets do you want? And any questions you have, feel free to ask! Later I might post about Mya, my first pet—a carnival fish, and Cecelia, the turtle that ran away.
  

Be breezy!

V.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment